White paper and webinar
The Outlook for Open and Disaggregated Packet and Optical Networks
Open and disaggregated transport networks are advancing rapidly and operator plans are starting to solidify, with the Telecom Infra Project playing a significant catalyst role in this ecosystem. To gain the latest insights on this critical topic, Heavy Reading surveyed network operators globally to get their views and plans on the key packet and optical transport trends.
Hosted by Principal Analyst Sterling Perrin, the Heavy Reading webinar provides a readout of key findings from the survey, described in greater detail in the associated white paper, and assembles a world class roster of presenters and panelists to discuss the future of disaggregation in packet and optical networks. Speakers include visionary tier 1 operators and highly active suppliers within the TIP community.
- Top drivers and challenges for open and disaggregated elements
- How to address operational challenges associated with disaggregated networks
- The role of disaggregation in 5G transport architectures
- Benefits of and plans for 400G pluggable optics
- SDN-based automation for open network
Operator quotes from the webinar
- Rafael Cantó Palancar, Transport & IP Manager, Telefónica, said “TIP OOPT Project Group is the perfect place to cooperate technically. Collaborative, agreed, common requirements will be key to build attractive and healthy ecosystems around open disaggregated networks in the long term”
- Lloyd Mphahlele, General Manager, Group Technology, MTN, said “What we do in TIP has given us a unique opportunity to accelerate our ambition towards open and disaggregated networks”
White paper top highlight: “Faster innovation and flexibility in adopting the latest technology is the top driver for leading operators to adopt disaggregated networks based on the survey results. Looking at results by region, it was the top choice across geographies. Forming a second tier of motivators is the ability to launch new services and increase revenue and capex reduction. Faster innovation and increasing revenue are related factors, as faster innovation plays a crucial role in launching new services. It is notable that while important, capex reduction is not the main driver for operators to pursue disaggregation.”