Project Group is an initiative to define and build 2G, 3G and 4G RAN solutions based on a general-purpose vendor-neutral hardware and software-defined technology.
5G Product Marketing Manager
RAN Product Manager
OpenRAN Outdoor Macro
Karan Sarin (Ooredoo)
Benjamin Tan (TPG Telecom)
The goal of the Outdoor Macro sub-group is to address the challenges of large scale, outdoor OpenRAN deployments by defining requirements, aggregating technology solutions and developing playbooks for outdoor solutions based on macro OpenRAN configuration. The group will develop requirements documents for various outdoor macro segments, 1. rural 2. peri-urban and 3. urban.
- Reference architectures for RAN including the components CU, DU and RU.
- APIs and interfaces for multi-vendors’ interoperability based on industry specifications.
- The group will work with industry partners to accelerate solution development and satisfy the scaled deployment requirement for outdoor OpenRAN solutions.
What is OpenRAN?
OpenRAN is a vendor-neutral disaggregation of RAN at both the hardware and software levels on general purpose processor-based platforms. It implements an open interface between components (e.g., RU/CU/DU) using hardware- and software-defined functions.
OpenRAN features multiple architecture options:
- An integrated RAN with disaggregation at the hardware and software levels
- A split RAN with RU, BBU (DU/CU)
- A split RAN with RU, DU, and CU
The flexibility of multivendor solutions enables a diverse ecosystem for operators to choose best-of-breed options for their 2G/3G/4G and 5G deployments. Solutions can be implemented on bare metal as well as on virtualized or containerized platforms.
OpenRAN is fully compliant with principles set forth in its charter.
Upcoming EventsThere are no upcoming events at this time.
November 13 - 14, 2019 - Worldwide
Telecom and internet industry leaders will gather in Amsterdam for our fourth annual TIP Summit, where TIP Members share the latest updates on TIP technology.
June 1 - 30, 2019 - Worldwide
TIP hosted gatherings around the world as part of its TIP Regional Summit series.