The Open Converged Wireless software project group is developing a converged indoor connectivity solution for Wi-Fi, SmallCells & PoE Switching, working on definition, design, development and testing of an open source system that includes white-box hardware, embedded software with enterprise/carrier features, a cloud native controller.
TIP OpenWiFi is the first project developed and contributed by the Open Converged Wireless community. OpenWiFi is a community-developed, disaggregated Wi-Fi software system, offered as free open-source software, that includes both a cloud controller SDK and an Enterprise-grade Access Point (AP) firmware, designed and validated to work seamlessly together.
Learn more about TIP OpenWiFi
An industry movement for unlocking indoor wireless infrastructure innovation
The software and test automation development is performed on deployable hardware, managed and delivered in accordance with industry standard, open source practices including defined roadmap, feature backlog, and defined delivery sprints. The project is fully tooled up for productive collaboration and code quality using industry leading tools and applications: a GitHub repository, Atlassian Jira, WiKi, Build automation, Slack communication and other tools.
Members of the group gain access to a suite of community collaboration tools, providing complete visibility and opportunity to engage early with the community as the system evolves (product development, roadmap backlog, sprint planning, chat, CI/CD pipeline artifacts & automated E2E nightly test reports).
The group hosts weekly development standup meetings, bi-weekly program status meetings and work on a monthly sprint release cycle.
Group activities include
- Defining and contributing requirements, design artifacts, architectures, APIs, data models, and workflows
- Source code to support the design, development and testing
- Reusing of existing industry standards and available components as appropriate to support the requirements
- Developing, prototyping, building, and testing software and hardware systems
- Validating systems through direct engagement, lab and field trials hosted in TIP Community Labs and TIP approved labs (Service Provider, OEMs, ODMs, etc.)
- Supporting a TIP developed software / hardware platform ecosystem
The Open Converged Wireless Software Group will engage and collaborate with any TIP Project Group as appropriate. A key driver of this collaboration will be the public availability of the software, test automation and system validation code and documentation artifacts contributed to the Open Converged Wireless Software Group.